Resources for Community Members
Our goal is to improve access to financial services and education by connecting Philadelphians with community and financial organizations.
We want you to have all the tools you need to open a bank account and start saving for the future. Get started by taking a free class with one of our financial education providers. We've partnered with local financial and nonprofit organizations to offer you a wealth of financial education classes.
You will learn how to:
- Stay on a budget
- Manage a checking or savings account
- Establish good credit
- Save for the future
Need a Second Chance?
Our network of providers offers you the opportunity to open a bank account even if you had problems in the past. When you complete the class, you will receive a Certificate. To open your account, take your Certificate and proper identification to one of our participating financial institutions offering Fresh Start Accounts. You may qualify for an account even if:
- You have never had an account before
- You had problems with an account in the past that is making it difficult to open an account now
- You are having problems managing a current account and you are getting too many fees
Opening a Bank Account
- Find a Participating bank or credit union in your neighborhood.
- Inquire about opening a Bank on Philadelphia account.
- Open your new checking and savings account.
Bank on Philadelphia has more than 100 partner branches. You can find a participating bank or credit union in your area by using the list of Financial Partners on this Web site or contacting one of our participating Neighborhood Affiliates for assistance.
Our partner branches have special accounts designed just for you. They'll answer your questions and help you open an account that's best for your needs.
The person at the bank or credit union will walk you through the entire process. And they can show you how to sign up for free money management training classes to help you get the most from your new account.
7 Reasons to Open a Checking Account
- It's convenient.
- It won't cost you any money to cash your checks. You can stop using check cashers.
- You can write checks to pay your bills. No need to buy money orders.
- You can't lose money or have it stolen while it's in the account. The federal government guarantees your money.
- You can take advantage of other services: direct deposit, online banking, automatic bill pay, and money transfers to family and friends.
- If you have money in your account, you can use a debit card to get cash whenever you need to.
- You can earn interest on money in your savings account.